Recipe: Kasha Varnishkes
No smell reminds me of Rosh Hashanah like kasha varnishkes.
Serves 4-6 as a side dish.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 C buckwheat groats, medium granulation
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 C diced onion
- 2 C beef broth, hot
- 1 lb. bow-tie noodles (e.g. Barilla Farfalle)
- Mix the beaten eggs and groats until egg is absorbed. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan with lid, saute the diced onion in oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- Add the egg-groats mixture to the pan and toast until the granules look dry and separate.
- Add the hot broth to the pan, cover, and lower heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Toss noodles with cooked buckwheat.
If you’re feeling decadent, mix in some sauce and a little shredded meat from a recently braised brisket.